No products in the cart.
10 Reasons Why Your Book Isn’t Selling
So you have finished your book, you have completed your interior design, the cover and back matter. You have done some marketing but you have only sold a handful of books, what gives? What will if anything help sell your books? If this is your first book or even your first self-published book, you have probably made some mistakes along the way. Don’t worry all is not lost. Most of your problems can be fixed with a little work. I will sort out the easiest to fix and most important at the top of the list. Let’s get started!
- Your Cover. Is it boring, off target or doesn’t fit your genre? You know that old saying don’t judge a book by its cover. Unfortunately, that is very true books are judged by their covers. It can make or break your book. If you can spare the money have a professional design a cover for you. This is very important. Make a good first impression on your readers.
- Pricing. Is your 185-page novel priced at 30 dollars. Sometimes we rationalize the price due to the amount of work we put into the book. While you may deserve 30 dollars per book most readers are not going to pay that price, would you? Research other books in your category, compare length and price.
- Marketing. You did market your book, didn’t you? I know this can seem like a bottomless pit you just throw money down. But if you expect your book to sell you must invest a little in marketing. Try a few different techniques spend a little, and then double down on what works. Don’t forget Social Media. This can drive hundreds or even thousands of sales for little more than your time sharing your posts.
- Available in the Correct Format. Today’s readers have a choice of formats print, ebook, and audio. Make sure your book is available in every format.
- You expected to sell more books more quickly than what is realistic. Be patient. If you are unknown it will take time before you work will get any recognition.
- You forgot to research Keywords and Categories—Metadata in all its forms has become more and more important to make your books visible online.
- Writing where there’s no Market. It’s wise to see what other similar books are in the marketplace. If there are very few or no books even close to the one being written, it could signal that no market exists for it. The book may be too unique to attract sales.
- You hired an Editor, didn’t YOU? This is one step you cannot scrimp on. You need a professional editor, this will give your book the polished look it needs.
- Writing without an Author Platform. If authors don’t have a following on email, blogs, social media, and mass media eager to read what they write—usually referred to as an author platform—sales will be slow or nonexistent since a following must be built after the fact. Create the market, then create a book for it.
- Is the book just BAD? I’ve saved the worst possibility for last. Many self-published books are just bad. Sometimes I’m just embarrassed for the author! This is the worst scenario. There is not much you can do at this point. All you can really do is go back to the drawing board.
I hope this helps new authors understand why their books are not selling. It’s too bad there isn’t a one size fits all fix. Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater if your book isn’t selling, Unless you have been told you need to rewrite by more than a few. Don’t take their criticism negatively they are really just trying to help! Good luck and Happy Writing!